TORONTO, May 15, 2023 /CNW/ – Fire & Flower Holdings Corp. (“Fire & Flower” or the “Company”) (TSX: FAF) (OTCQX: FFLWF), today announced its financial and operational results for the fiscal 2023 first quarter ended March 31, 2023.
“Our first quarter of 2023 is a clear demonstration of our continued discipline on delivering positive improvements in our overall operational results. Once again, we saw same-store sales and gross margin growth. As we look towards 2023 as a transformational year, the Company is focused on our core retail business, supported by Hifyre which enables us to deliver higher gross margin percentages and the best available products to our customers,” shared Stéphane Trudel, Chief Executive Officer of Fire & Flower.
“Our continued innovation and long-term focus is demonstrated through the recent launch of the Spark Marketplace mobile app that allows customers to shop with ease and has already produced significantly larger transaction amounts than in-person transactions.”
“Consolidation opportunities in the industry that are fully accretive to our business are a key priority as we look to a long-term goal of achieving 10% market share. While keeping our eye on our long-term vision, our teams are working diligently to generate savings in SG&A expenses by simplifying our business and building value in core assets,” concluded Mr. Trudel.
Consolidated Financial Highlights
(In thousands of Canadian dollars, except
per share amounts)
Gross Profit Percentage
Basic loss per share
As at December 31, 2022, the Company’s fiscal year was changed from a 52 or 53-week period ending the Saturday closest to January 31 to a calendar 12-month period ending December 31 to enhance comparability of its periodic financial statements with those of its peers. Accordingly, the information presented in this news release, the Interim Financial Statements, and the Management’s Discussion and Analysis reflect the results for the calendar quarter ended March 31, 2023, while the comparative figures reflect the 13-week period ended April 30, 2022 (“Q1 2022”).
- Consolidated revenue of $43.1 million for Q1 2023, representing a 5.3% increase from $40.9 million in Q1 2022. The year-over-year increase was driven by higher retail revenues for the period.
- Consolidated gross profit of $12.5 million (28.9% of revenue) for Q1 2023, representing an increase of 2.4% from $12.2 million (29.7% of revenue) in the prior year comparative period, primarily contributed by an increase in gross profit in the Digital segment.
- Adjusted EBITDA of negative $1.8 million for Q1 2023, an improvement of 22.5% compared with negative $2.3 million for Q1 2022.
- Net Loss of $10.1 Million for Q1 2023 compared with net loss of $9.9 million in Q1 2022, including restructuring and impairment charge of $1.7 million and nil for prior year.
- Cash and cash equivalents balance of $8.2 million at the end of Q1 2023.
(In thousands of Canadian dollars, except per
Wholesale and Logistics
- Retail revenue for Q1 2023 increased 9.1% from $29.6 million in Q1 in the prior year despite having 9 fewer stores.
- Year-over-year same-store sales increase of 17.2% compared to Q1 in the prior year.
- Retail gross profit for Q1 2023 was $8.4 million (25.9% of revenue) compared to $8.2 million (27.8%) for Q1 in the prior year. The Retail segment continues to show steady improvement in gross margin percentage and gross profit dollars. Retail gross margin percentage has increased sequentially over the last 12 months from 23.4% in Q2 2022, 24.2% in Q3 2022, and 25.4% in Q4 2022.
- Over 560,000 Spark Perks members made up 77% of transactions in the quarter.
- The Company had 92 stores open and in operation at the end of March 31, 2023.
- Wholesale and Logistics revenue for Q1 2023 was $7.9 million, a decrease of $0.6 million compared to $8.5 millionin Q1 2022.
- Segment gross profit for Q1 2023 of $1.2 million, a decrease of $0.1 million compared to $1.3 million in Q1 2022.
- Exited Pineapple non-core low margin business to business delivery services with a focus on the retail Firebird Delivery service, resulting in annualized cost savings of approximately $2 million with the anticipation of the Wholesale and Logistics segment returning to positive Adjusted EBITDA
.Hifyre™ Digital Platform
- Digital segment revenue for Q1 of fiscal 2023 was $3.0 million compared to $2.9 million in Q1 of the prior year.
- Gross profit margin was 95.7% for the quarter ended March 31, 2022 compared to 89.7% for Q1 of the prior year.
- Hifyre continues to commercialize the Consumer Insights and Distribution modules to Hifyre IQ data analytics platform customers, driving additional incremental high margin revenue.
- On April 17, 2023, the company announced that it had signed a Master Licensing Agreement (“MLA”) with MC Cannabis Inc., an indirect wholly-owned subsidiary of ACT. The MLA gives the Company exclusive first right to negotiate entries in additional legal cannabis markets and exclusive development of co-located stores in Ontariowith Fire & Flower with a commitment to open seven stores.
(in thousands of dollars)
March 31, 2023
April 30, 2022
Net loss – as reported
Gain on revaluation of derivative liability
Finance costs, net
Acquisition and strategic initiative professional fees
Depreciation & amortization
Restructuring, impairment and other costs, net
Foreign exchange gain
Non-IFRS Measures – Adjusted EBITDA
“Adjusted EBITDA” is a is a Non-IFRS metric used by management that does not have any standardized meaning prescribed by IFRS and may not be fully comparable to similar measures presented by other companies. Management defines Adjusted EBITDA as the income (loss) for the period, as reported, before income taxes and other expense (income) items such as finance costs, finance income, gains and losses related to derivative liability revaluations and debt extinguishments, and adjusted for share-based compensation, depreciation and amortization, impairment expenses, restructuring charges and acquisitions, foreign exchange differences and strategic initiative professional fees.
Adjusted EBITDA for the first quarter ended March 31, 2023 was negative $1.8 million, an improvement of 22.5% compared to negative adjusted EBITDA of $2.3 million for the comparable quarter of the 2022 fiscal year.
Fire & Flower will host a webcast and conference call with Stéphane Trudel, Chief Executive Officer, John Chou, Chief Financial Officer and Chris Bolivar, EVP Commercial and Growth at 8:30 a.m. EDT on May 15, 2023. The webcast will discuss Fire & Flower’s Fiscal 2023 first quarter financial and operational results and the Company’s plans for 2023.
Canada and United States dial-in number (Toll Free): +1 833 470 1428
International: +1 404 975 4839
Access code: 945842
Replay Information (Available until June 5, 2023)
Canada and United States (Toll Free): 1 866 813 9403
International: +1 929 458 6194
Replay Access Code: 370356
Upon completion of the live conference call, a replay of the conference call will be accessible on Fire & Flower’s website at https://investors.fireandflower.com/.
Fire & Flower’s financial statements and management discussion and analysis for the period are available on Fire & Flower’s SEDAR profile at www.sedar.com and on Fire & Flower’s website at https://investors.fireandflower.com.
Fire & Flower is a leading, technology-powered, adult-use cannabis retailer with more than 90 corporate-owned stores in its network. The Company leverages its wholly-owned technology development subsidiary, Hifyre, to continually advance its proprietary retail operations model while also providing additional independent high-margin revenue streams. Fire & Flower guides consumers through the complex world of cannabis through education-focused, best-in-class retailing while the Hifyre digital retail and analytics platform empowers retailers to optimize their connections with consumers. The Company’s leadership team combines extensive experience in the technology, logistics, cannabis and retail industries.
Through the strategic investment of Alimentation Couche-Tard Inc. (owner of Circle K convenience stores), the Company has set its sights on global expansion as new cannabis markets emerge and is poised to expand into the United Stateswhen permitted through its strategic licensing agreement with Fire & Flower U.S. Holdings upon the occurrence of certain changes to the cannabis regulatory regime.
Fire & Flower is a multi-banner cannabis retail operator that owns and operates the Fire & Flower, Friendly Stranger, Happy Dayz and Firebird Delivery brands. Fire & Flower Holdings Corp. owns all issued and outstanding shares in Fire & Flower Inc. and Friendly Stranger Holdings Corp., licensed cannabis retailers that own and operate cannabis retail stores in the provinces of British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, and the Yukon territory.
To learn more about Fire & Flower, visit https://www.fireandflower.com.
CAUTIONARY STATEMENT REGARDING FORWARD-LOOKING INFORMATION
This news release contains certain forward-looking information within the meaning of applicable Canadian securities laws (“forward-looking statements”). All statements other than statements of present or historical fact are forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are often, but not always, identified by the use of words such as “anticipate”, “achieve”, “could”, “believe”, “plan”, “intend”, “objective”, “continuous”, “ongoing”, “estimate”, “outlook”, “expect”, “project” and similar words, including negatives thereof, suggesting future outcomes or that certain events or conditions “may” or “will” occur. These forward-looking statements include statements about the sales of Common Shares under the ATM Program and the use of the net proceeds of the ATM Program. These statements are only predictions.
Forward-looking statements are based on the opinions and estimates of management of Fire & Flower at the date the statements are made based on information then available to Fire & Flower. Various factors and assumptions are applied in drawing conclusions or making the forecasts or projections set out in forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are subject to and involve a number of known and unknown, variables, risks and uncertainties, many of which are beyond the control of Fire & Flower, which may cause Fire & Flower‘s actual performance and results to differ materially from any projections of future performance or results expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. Such factors, among other things, include: final regulatory and other approvals or consents; fluctuations in general macroeconomic conditions; fluctuations in securities markets; the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic; the ability of the Company to successfully achieve its business objectives, political and social uncertainties, demand for the Common Shares, market conditions, and the use of the net proceeds of the ATM program.
No assurance can be given that the expectations reflected in forward-looking statements will prove to be correct. Although the forward-looking statements contained in this news release are based upon what management of the Company believes, or believed at the time, to be reasonable assumptions, the Company cannot assure shareholders that actual results will be consistent with such forward-looking statements, as there may be other factors that cause results not to be as anticipated, estimated or intended. Readers should not place undue reliance on the forward-looking statements and information contained in this news release. Additional information regarding risks and uncertainties relating to the Company’s business are contained under the headings “Risk Factors” in the Company’s Annual Information Form dated March 28, 2023 and “Risks and Uncertainties” in the management discussion and analysis for the quarter ended March 31, 2023 filed on its issuer profile on SEDAR at www.sedar.com. The forward-looking statements contained in this press release are made as of the date of this press release, and the Company does not undertake to update any forward-looking statements that are contained or referenced herein, except in accordance with applicable securities laws.
No stock exchange, securities commission or other regulatory authority has approved or disapproved the information contained herein.
SOURCE Fire & Flower Holdings Corp.
For further information: Investor Relations, firstname.lastname@example.org , 1-833-680-4948